Arvigo® Therapy is an external, non-invasive massage for the abdomen and lower back areas. It is also known as The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy®. This is an effective therapy to support your abdominal area.
It gently stimulates circulation of lymph, nerve and blood flow to reproductive and digestive organs.
How does Arvigo Therapy work?
This gentle therapy helps to realign the health flow of fresh blood, lymph fluid and energy in the abdominal area. For women, the focus is on regaining homeostasis by encouraging the uterus to be in its central position.
The uterus usually leans slightly over the bladder in the center of the pelvis, about one and a half inches above the pubic bone. It is held in this position by muscles, the vaginal wall and ligaments that attach it to the back, front, and sides of the pelvis. Uterine ligaments are made to stretch to accommodate a growing fetus inside and to move freely when the bladder or bowel is full. Sometimes these ligaments and muscles can weaken and loosen, causing the uterus to fall downward, forward, backward or to either side. What can cause this happen? Read more here.
Technically, a uterus in any of these positions is considered tilted or prolapsed. Although many women may never be aware of this (or their doctors may minimize the relevance of these findings), it can often relate to a laundry list of physical and emotional symptoms in the body
When reproductive organs shift, they can constrict normal flow of blood and lymph, and disrupt nerve connections. Just a few extra ounces sitting on blood and lymph vessels can cause havoc throughout the different systems in the body. By shifting the uterus back into place, homeostasis, or the natural balance of the body, is restored in the pelvic area and the surrounding organs. Toxins are flushed and nutrients that help to tone tissue and balance hormones are restored to a healthier, balanced state of homeostasis.
Addtionally, any old adhesions from invasive treatments to the pelvic and abdominal may be softened and gradually dissolve with uterine massage. This may also benefit women with fibroids and cysts, as well as improve general circulation in the area.
Arvigo Techniques of Mayan Abdominal Therapy®
What can Arvigo Therapy help with?
This therapy is deeply relaxing and can help encourage a clearing of both physical and emotional congestion in the body
Learning Self Care Massage is a unique part of this approach. It can help to sustain good circulation and blood flow initiated by the professional treatments. You’ll feel more in control of your well being and are physically and emotionally connected to the treatment process.
- painful periods
- fertility challenges
- symptoms of endometriosis
- uterine fibroids or polyps
- ovarian cysts
- difficult menopausal symptoms
- post partum healing
- displaced or prolapsed uterus
Digestive & Urinary System
- digestive issues (Crohn’s, gastritis, IBS)
- frequent constipation
- bloating or poor digestion
- frequent or urgent urination
- frequent bladder or yeast infections
Physical & Emotional
- low backache
- PMS symptoms
- difficult menopausal symptoms
- painful intercourse
- pain or numbness from old scars
- weak, tired or numb legs
- headaches, migraines
What to Expect in an Abdominal Therapy Session
Sessions are customized to your needs and goals for treatment. Treatments include both Arvigo® Therapy Abdominal Massage and TCM Acupuncture, offered by Barbara Poczyniak, R.Ac.
Intake and Review
A comprehensive review of your personal health history and current health needs. The first appointment for Arvigo Therapy is between 75-90 minutes long (including your initial treatment). If you are an existing Acupuncture patient, there will be an additional intake form to complete for this first session.
Abdominal massage focused on gently aligning reproductive and digestive organs. Massage of the back and sacrum area to further circulation to abdomen and organs. Evaluation of body posture, hip and spine alignment.
Self Care and Suggestions
Instruction of Self Care techniques to enhance your professional treatment session. Recommendations of complementary modalities and lifestyle suggestions to improve your health and well being.
Typically, a minimum of 3-5 professional sessions are recommended. Each individual’s situation is unique and a personalized treatment plan will be offered by your practitioner. In general, individuals who perform regular self care practice will report an improvement in symptoms much faster.
Contraindications and Cautions
Please note that in any of the following situations, the lower abdominal work should not be done:
- During menstruation
- Active infection in abdomen or pelvic area (ie. bladder infection, UTI, yeast infection)
- IUD or pessary (must be removed prior to treatment)
- Within 6 weeks of abdominal or pelvic surgeries
- Within 6 weeks of cesarean section delivery
- Active cancer
Is this Right for You?
Meet with us to learn more about what we offer and how we can help you.
Feel like you’ve already tried it all? Our complimentary (virtual) discovery session is the easy first step to deciding if this is the right approach for you.
The Origins of Arvigo Therapy
Arvigo® Therapy is based on the traditional Maya practice of uterine massage. It also includes specialized techniques developed by Dr. Rosita Arvigo.
Dr. Rosita Arvigo is an American Naprapathic physician, herbalist and researcher living in Belize. She developed the Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® based on her own professional experience. She has over 40 years of knowledge from studying with native healers and herbalists in Central America.
The therapy is based on Dr. Arvigo’s studies and apprenticeship with the traditional healers of Belize. Her teacher, Don Elijio Panti, believed the uterus to be a woman’s centre. He often said that ”if a woman’s uterus is out of balance – so is she”.
What to Expect
Book a Free Consultation
- Meet with us to discuss your current situation and health goals. This is a virtual meeting or phone call.
- Ask us any questions you may have about what we can offer and what to expect.
- There is no obligation if you decide not to continue.
- The next step is your complete intake and first treatment.
First Visit and Treatment
- After a full health intake we’ll put together your treatment “plan of action”. Your first visit also includes a full treatment.
- Acupuncture and/or Arvigo® Therapy treatments are available and can be combined or booked separately.
- We include nutrition and lifestyle suggestions based on the best traditional remedies and evidence based research.
- Easy to follow directions for relaxing self care methods you can implement at home. This helps along your progress in between visits.
- Receive guidance on Mind-Body techniques to improve your mood and sleep as well as reduce stress levels.
Ongoing Treatment and Results
- Customized treatments based on what you need at each visit.
- Each treatment will leave you feeling de-stressed and refreshed as you make progress towards your goal.
- As treatments progress: improved energy, digestion and sleep patterns, less pain and improved mood and focus.
- At the beginning we may need to space your visits close together in order to get the best results.
- Later, visits are spaced further apart as improvements progress.
- Our ultimate goal is to see you healthy and well, so that you are happy to naturally refer friends and family to us too.
Our Latest Wellness Articles
Arvigo® Therapy is an external, non-invasive massage for the abdomen and lower back. The aim is to gently stimulate the circulation of lymph, nerve and fresh blood to the reproductive and digestive organs.
An ovarian cyst is a fluid-filled sac within the ovary or on its surface. Cysts on the ovaries can be a fairly common occurrence, they are often harmless and will dissolve on their own. Others may cause discomfort or pain if they rupture and bleed.