Acupuncture for Pregnancy
Acupuncture is a safe, gentle and effective all natural therapy that can be used throughout pregnancy.
How Can Acupuncture Help?
Have a healthy and comfortable pregnancy, prepare for labour and ensure your well being post partum. Acupuncuture has been used for pregnancy and women’s health for thousands of years in Chinese Medicine.
Preparing for Pregnancy
Planning to start trying soon? This is the perfect time to nourish your body in preparation for a healthy pregnancy and birth. Our pre-conception acupuncture protocols can start at any time but are ideal if begun at least
3 months prior.
Customized Care at each Stage
Your needs may change throughout the months, and we have you covered at each step. Gentle and effective acupuncture to help relieve digestive issues, body aches and improve mood and energy levels.
Preparing for Labour
Acupuncture can be used to help prepare the body for labour naturally. Ideally women will want to begin the preparations at week 36-37 up to delivery date. Studies have shown acupuncture to safely encourage cervical ripening, increase circulation, release muscle tension and alleviate stress and tension.
Acupuncture is Safe Throughout Pregnancy
At Vital Bloom Wellness, we offer safe, gentle and effective TCM Acupuncture treatments for all stages of pregnancy and beyond. Know that not all acupuncture providers are trained in Pregnancy Acupuncture, and – in Ontario – it is not within the scope of certain practitioners such as chiropractors and massage therapists. Meanwhile, TCM Acupuncturists have a long history of treating during pregnancy, and this method is preferred to stronger interventions such as pain medication, etc.
As early as the first positive pregnancy test, acupuncture can help support a healthy pregnancy by decreasing risk of miscarriage. It can also help alleviate some of the well known issues that may come up during this time, including:
- Nausea / morning sickness
- Mood swings
- Poor sleep
The second semester often brings relief from the more intense mornining sickness, as well as lessened risk of early miscarriage after 12th week. However, new symptoms may start to occur for some women – as the baby starts to grow it increase demand on the resources of mom’s body. Some women may experience issues around blood pressure or blood sugar levels, which acupuncture can help with as well. Other concerns that may present in 2nd Trimester:
- Back pain
- Weight gain
The increasing size of your baby can cause increased symptoms as weight is gained. Acupuncture can help with quality of life and well being during this time. Also, it can be of benefit to help turn a baby that is in breech position. Lastly, it has a special place in preparing for labour in the final weeks before delivery.
- Leg, hip and back pain
- Ankles, feet and hands swelling
- Shortness of breath
- Preparing for labour; Breech position
The post partum period can be a time of stress and fatigue for many new moms. In Traditional Chinese Medicine it is a crucial time to nourish and support both mom and baby – it is called “The Golden Month”. Acupuncture can be a gently nurturing modality to help build up strength and recover quickly, as well as help with issues that may present during this time of hormonal fluctuation.
- Muscle aches
- Low energy
- Menstrual issues (as period restarts)
Is this Right for You?
Meet with us to learn more about what we offer and how we can help you.
Feel like you’ve already tried it all? Our complimentary discovery session is the easy first step to deciding if this is the right approach for you.
What to Expect
Book a Free Consultation
- Meet with us to discuss your current situation and health goals. This is a virtual meeting or phone call.
- Ask us any questions you may have about what we can offer and what to expect.
- There is no obligation if you decide not to continue.
- The next step is your complete intake and first treatment.
First Visit and Treatment
- After a full health intake we’ll put together your treatment “plan of action”. Your first visit also includes a full treatment.
- Acupuncture and/or Arvigo® Therapy treatments are available and can be combined or booked separately.
- We include nutrition and lifestyle suggestions based on the best traditional remedies and evidence based research.
- Easy to follow directions for relaxing self care methods you can implement at home. This helps along your progress in between visits.
- Receive guidance on Mind-Body techniques to improve your mood and sleep as well as reduce stress levels.
Ongoing Treatment and Results
- Customized treatments based on what you need at each visit.
- Each treatment will leave you feeling de-stressed and refreshed as you make progress towards your goal.
- As treatments progress: improved energy, digestion and sleep patterns, less pain and improved mood and focus.
- At the beginning we may need to space your visits close together in order to get the best results.
- Later, visits are spaced further apart as improvements progress.
- Our ultimate goal is to see you healthy and well, so that you are happy to naturally refer friends and family to us too.
Our Latest Wellness Articles
Arvigo® Therapy is an external, non-invasive massage for the abdomen and lower back. The aim is to gently stimulate the circulation of lymph, nerve and fresh blood to the reproductive and digestive organs.
An ovarian cyst is a fluid-filled sac within the ovary or on its surface. Cysts on the ovaries can be a fairly common occurrence, they are often harmless and will dissolve on their own. Others may cause discomfort or pain if they rupture and bleed.