What is Arvigo® Therapy?
The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® are an external, non-invasive massage for the abdomen and lower back areas. It is a gentle and effective therapy to support your reproductive and digestive health. It stimulates circulation of lymph, nerve and blood flow within the abdominal area.
This massage is deeply relaxing and can help encourage a clearing of both physical and emotional congestion. Arvigo® Therapy is based on the traditional Maya practice of uterine massage, but also includes specialized techniques developed by Dr. Rosita Arvigo.
Dr. Rosita Arvigo is an American Naprapathic physician, herbalist and researcher living in Belize. She developed the Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® based on her own professional experience and over 40 years of studying with native healers and herbalists in Central America.
The therapy is based on Dr. Arvigo’s studies with traditional healers such as Don Elijio Panti, who thought the uterus to be a woman’s centre. They believed that ”if a woman’s uterus is out of balance – so is she”.
What can Arvigo® Therapy help with?
- fertility challenges
- painful or irregular periods
- digestive disorders (Crohn’s, IBS, gastritis)
- low backache, especially during menstruation
- symptoms of endometriosis
- PMS symptoms
- difficult menopausal symptoms
- frequent or urgent urination
- frequent bladder or yeast infections
- varicose veins
- weak, tired or numb legs
- headaches, migraines
- uterine fibroids or polyps
- ovarian cysts
- painful intercourse
- frequent constipation
- post surgical (scar tissue recovery)
- displaced or prolapsed uterus
- post partum healing
What to Expect in an Arvigo® Therapy session
These therapy techniques address the optimum position of abdominal organs and support the healthy function of digestive and reproductive systems. Each session is based on what your needs are at the time.
- A comprehensive review of your personal health history and current health needs.
- Abdominal massage focused on aligning reproductive and digestive organs.
- Massage of the back and sacrum to further circulation to the abdomen and organs.
- Evaluation of the body posture, hip and spine alignment.
- Recommendations of complementary modalities and lifestyle suggestions to improve health and well-being.
- Typically, 3-4 professional sessions (at minimum) are required in order to address most conditions.
- Instruction in Self Care techniques to enhance your professional treatment session.
A unique aspect of this therapy is that you learn how to massage your own abdomen as well. This helps to sustain good circulation and blood flow initiated by the professional treatment.
By doing your self care massage regularly you carry the treatment on long after you have left your appointment. You feel more in control of your well being and are physically and emotionally connected to the treatment process.